Types of Post-Secondary Degrees

UEducation’s Docs Types of Post-Secondary Degrees

It may be helpful to know the different types of degrees you can get when you’re deciding what you want to do after high school. Here is a description of each:

Diploma/Certificate Programs: Degree programs may be two-year or four-year degrees. Community colleges are government-regulated post-secondary institutions offering one- to two-year certificates, diplomas, two-year associate’s degrees (i.e. Early Childhood Education) and even three- and four-year specialized degrees (i.e. Engineering). You can also usually transfer a Certificate Degree from a Community College to a different institution if you want to study further or get more qualifications.

Undergraduate – Bachelor’s Degree: These may be anywhere between three-five years, and take place at a university. Some universities offer partnerships with colleges, where you usually spend 2 years with the college and 2 years with the university to get your Bachelor’s Degree. A high school diploma is required to apply to these types of programs. If you are applying to university from high school, you will be looking in to undergraduate programs.

Postgraduate – Master’s Degree/Doctoral Degree: A master’s degree in Canada typically requires two years of study after successful completion of a 4 year bachelor’s degree. A doctoral program usually requires successful completion of a master’s degree. A doctoral degree, AKA a PhD, will take a minimum of three years and up to four or five years of study and research.

Discussion (0)

There are no comments for this doc yet.

Comment posting has been disabled on this doc.