When someone you know dies, it can affect you and the people you know in many different ways. These changes can be very hard, so it can be helpful to find healthy ways to cope with strong emotions.
Here are 10 ways you can cope with all the strong emotions that come with grief:
- Learn the names of your emotions so you can better understand what you are feeling and share your emotions with someone else.
- Practice deep breathing and mindfulness activities (this can include lots of activities such as yoga, exploring the senses, spending time in nature, journaling, or doing arts and crafts).
- Move your body in ways that feel good for you, such as walking, dancing, or exercising.
- Eat meals that are full of good nutrients, and stay hydrated by drinking lots of water.
- Take a warm or cold bath/shower – whichever feels best for you.
- Find time to relax and rest your body, including sleeping.
- Engage in something creative such as music, art or dance.
- Play and do activities that you enjoy, every day if you can!
- Spend time in places that help you feel safe, calm, and comfortable. This can be your home, with friends or loved ones, or some place special to you.
- Talk with people you can trust and who really care for you.
Children’s Grief Awareness Day is on November 16 and was designed to help bring awareness to the needs of children and youth who are grieving. Click here to learn more: https://www.childrensgriefawarenessday.org/cgad2/index.shtml